Search This Blog

Thursday, October 3, 2013

Parkinson's pain management

Yesterday I had a doctor's appointment with my primary care doctor, it was to adjust my pain meds. Some go up, some went down. My pills for night pain went up, my day time went down. I think this is one of the things I dislike the most, but it is one of the things that rule my life the most. Most think of Parkinson's as strictly a tremor problem, but it is only.a part of the.disease. The nonmotor symptoms are to me more debilitating than the tremor. They range from cognitive problems to depression, sexual dysfunction(although not on the MJF show), severe constipation, blood pressure, sweating, I guess you name it. If the brain controls it, with Parkinson's it can fail.

Most people never see the real disease unless you live with it day in and day out. When meds are working most of us don't believe  we have it.  On.an off day we and every one around us knows we have it. Most people don't know there is pain withpParkinson's, the ridigiity, something called dystonia is.one.of the worst. It is cramping and your muscles trying to contort your body into shapes it was never ment to be. In my  caseit feels ad though my feet are trying to fold between my big toe and the next one for the lengthof my foot. That happens during the night into.early morning when most of the meds have warn off.

My point in all this is a couplee of things, I have found so many sceptical of people who don't shake like an Aspen leaf Iin the fall, although 30%  of folkswith Parkinson's have no tremors, and when meds work even we find it.hard to.believe we have it but we do. MICHAEL J FOX ,is a great fundraiser for Parkinson's, and is.probably the most visible face of the diseas, but.he Is not typical of the disease.  Many with it have equally great attitudes most can't pick and choose how our day goes. We either have to keep going, or we.just have to stop.

So what does this have to do with pain management? Every bit of Parkinson's is a pain. From the time you  get up until thetime.you get upyou are in pain. I ttake morphine to sleep,.and.hydro codon when awake, lyrica for neuropathy   and a muscle relaxer for.cramps and an antiviral that helps with uncontrolled movement. If I.appear to.be ok it just means that all of these are working, if not, well who knows...

No comments:

Post a Comment